*** DEBUG END ***

Rydal Hall project helps recovery

24 February 2017


Team project: veterans work on the vegetable garden at Rydal Hall

Team project: veterans work on the vegetable garden at Rydal Hall

A DIOCESAN retreat house is to become home to military veterans and emergency personnel, as part of a project to help in their recovery from addictions.

Rydal Hall, the diocese of Car­lisle’s retreat house and conference centre, is hosting groups of veterans from Tom Harrison House, a Liverpool-based centre that provides addiction treatment exclusively for people with backgrounds in the military and the emergency services.

The groups will stay a week at a time, and work on projects such as renovating the vegetable garden on the estate.

One member of a group that re­­cently finished a week’s volunteering at Rydal Hall said: “It’s great being here in such a beautiful place. It gives us a break, and lets us get to know each other. These weeks really help with our recovery; we all enjoy it, and we’re all going to leave on a high, a natural high.”

The head gardener at Rydal Hall, Kate Jackson, said: “The Tom Har­rison House people are amazing. They are incredibly motivated, and their work has enabled us to take on projects that would not get done without them.”

In the United States, a study found that 60 per cent of 140,000 military veterans had a substance-abuse problem, but statistics are lacking in the UK.

The military charity Combat Stress says that, of those who con­tact them for help, 75 per cent are suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder, two-thirds of whom have a past history of alcohol abuse. Of the other 25 per cent who contact them, many also have alcohol-abuse dis­orders.

Browse Church and Charity jobs on the Church Times jobsite

Forthcoming Events


Church Times/RSCM: 

Intercultural Church for a Multicultural World

28 May 2024

A Church Times/Church House Publishing webinar

Tickets are FREE


Church Times/Modern Church:

A Political Faith?

Monday 3 June 2024

This panel will explore where Christians have come to in terms of political power and ask, where should we go next?

Online tickets available


Church Times/Modern Church:

Participating in Democracy

Monday 10 June 2024

This panel will explore the power of voting, and power beyond voting.

Online tickets available


Green Church Awards

Closing date: 30 June 2024

Read more details about the awards


Church Times/Canterbury Press:

Festival of Preaching

15-17 September 2024

The festival moves to Cambridge along with a sparkling selection of expert speakers

Early bird tickets available



Welcome to the Church Times


To explore the Church Times website fully, please sign in or subscribe.

Non-subscribers can read four articles for free each month. (You will need to register.)