Theology is exciting. It is about God’s word, God’s world and God’s people. It is vitally important for the church to nurture young Christians into thinking, speaking and writing about God and the world, and it is even more important that the Church listen to their voices. #TheologySlam encourages us to do just that: listen to God, listen to the world, and listen to the voices emerging within the Church, so we can join into God’s work in the world today.
Archbishop Justin Welby
Theology Slam is back, continuing its search for the most engaging young voices on theology and the contemporary world. Judged by some of the top theologians and communicators in the Christian world, Theology Slam aims to encourage a new generation to think theologically about the world around them – and to encourage the church to listen to what they have to say.
The competition is open to anyone aged 18-35. To enter, send 500 words on your chosen topic and a short video recording of you introducing yourself and explaining why you chose your topic.
Four finalists will be invited to give their talks to a live audience on 27 September, as part of the HeartEdge conference in Manchester.
The talks will be judged by our expert panel: Anthony Reddie, Rachel Mann, Isabelle Hamley and Sam Wells.
This year’s competition is organised by SCM Press, Church Times, and HeartEdge.
To apply, please complete the form below where you will also find space to upload your video, and type your 500 word entry. Video files should be submitted in either .mp4 or .mov format. The file name of your video should be your surname followed by ‘.mp4’ or ‘.mov’.
Entry deadline: 11.59pm - 6 June 2022
Finalists will be notified via email at the beginning of July. Speaker training will then take place at a mutually convenient time in July, August or early September.
If you have any questions, do get in touch at email@example.com
Your 500-word piece should:
- Explore the topic at hand from a theological perspective
- You’re welcome to pick a specific area relevant to the broad topic, or explore the topic as a whole
- Be relevant to everyday life
- What does engaging with your topic theologically mean for Christian disciples in day-to-day life?
- Consider the topic from an explicitly Christian worldview
- You should adhere to the understanding of faith as set out in the Apostles’ Creed
- Be suitable for expansion into a ten-minute talk
- Should you be shortlisted for the final, you will present your essay on stage to the judges & audience
- Not include footnotes
- This is not an academic essay!
Your introductory video should:
- Be no more than 90 seconds long
- Introduce who you are
- Explain why you are interested in the topic you have chosen
Theology Slam topics (choose one):
- The Virtual
Upload Introductory Video
Type or paste your 500 words into the box below
Terms and Conditions:
The competition begins on 1 March 2022, and is open for entries until 6 June 2022. Only one entry is permitted per person. You are not permitted to enter if you work for or are directly related to anyone who works for Hymns Ancient & Modern. There is no cash alternative offered for the prize(s). All finalists must be available for the live online event on the evening of 27 September 2022. By applying to Theology Slam, you consent to the use of your name, photo, and details relevant to the competition (e.g. age, city) for marketing purposes. The main promoter is Hymns Ancient & Modern and they will own the copyright to any entries submitted.