CHRISTIAN agencies, the United Nations, and the papal nuncio to Lebanon have condemned the Israeli attacks on the country, which were carried out, killing hundreds, despite the ceasefire between the United States and Iran brokered on Tuesday.
The Israeli Prime Minister, Benjamin Netanyahu, said that there was “no ceasefire in Lebanon”, and that Israel would continue “to strike Hezbollah with full force” after President Trump said that he had asked Mr Netanyahu to be more “low-key” in the country.
A spokesperson for the UN secretary-general, António Guterres, said that he “unequivocally condemns the massive strikes by Israel across Lebanon . . . that resulted in hundreds of civilians being killed and injured, including children, as well as damage to civilian infrastructure. The secretary-general strongly condemns the loss of civilian lives, and is deeply alarmed by the mounting toll on civilians.”
Israel carried out air strikes across Lebanon on Wednesday, causing at least 182 deaths and hundreds of injuries. The UN said that more than 300 people had been killed by Israeli bombing in the 24 hours after the announcement of the ceasefire.
The Apostolic Nuncio in Lebanon, Archbishop Paolo Borgia, told Vatican News: “There has never been an attack like this. They say that in ten minutes there were ten almost simultaneous strikes. . . A very large number of Israeli warplanes were used. The press speaks of about 50, but that still needs to be verified. The number of deaths will need to be updated because many may still be under the rubble.”
Responding to the news from Israel that the US-Iran ceasefire did not apply to Lebanon, Christian Aid’s head of Middle East advocacy, William Bell, said: “Any ceasefire must include Lebanon. Israel cannot be allowed to continue bombing and displacing innocent civilians at will in a country where almost a quarter have already been forced to leave their homes. As with Gaza, a ceasefire has to mean exactly that: an end to all military activity by all. Not a continuation of killing and misery.”
Tearfund said that one in every five people had been forced to leave home — more than 1.2 million people — since the start of the recent conflict in the region. Tearfund’s country director for Lebanon and Syria, Jaime Abraham, said on Thursday: “Today is a national day of mourning for people in Lebanon, and Tearfund and its partners are grieving with them. People are losing everything in an instant — their homes, their loved ones, their livelihoods. Many tell us they’re terrified and losing hope, as nowhere feels safe — the entire country is under attack.
“In a week where billions of dollars have been spent to see the dark side of the moon, the dark side of humanity is raining down on Lebanon. Here, rockets are obliterating hundreds of lives every day. It’s savage, it’s senseless, and it’s entirely stoppable.
“The UK and other leaders have called for the current ceasefire to include Lebanon, they must make sure this happens. Air strikes and violence against Lebanese civilians have to stop, right now, and leaders must work towards a sustainable peace.”
Speaking while on a trip to the Gulf, Sir Keir Starmer told ITV, referring to the Israeli strikes on Lebanon, “That shouldn’t be happening. That should stop. That’s my strong view.”