Have a go at our next caption competition (above) and win a prize of Fairtrade chocolate!
Send your entries by email only to email@example.com by 9 a.m. on Monday 14 December.
Here is the winning entry from last week:
Lay worker starts lengthy sabbatical to read and digest Living in Love and Faith resources (Mark Green)
WHAT was in the box? Our readers have different views:
- The box? Oh, that’s just my glasses, my long-distance road atlas, my diagram of the dimensions of the side of a bus, my Ladybird Book of the Easiest Deal Ever, and half a dozen artificially dishevelled beanies (John Swanson)
- Well, it’s good night from me, and, from what’s in this box, it’ll soon be good night from him (Phil Miller)
- Now I have all the glasses I need for numerous trips to Barnard Castle (Peter Walker)
- Dom decided to take the carol sheets home as they would not let him conduct the 10 Downing Street choir (Celia Stevenson)
- Dominic was determined that Larry the cat should come with him on holiday (Sue Chick)
- Well, I was told to clear my office; so now I have enough vaccine samples to protect my family and friends in Durham (Daphne Foster)
- That’s the most valuable cardboard box in the country, with all its secrets (Richard Hough)
- I wondered where all my woolly hats had gone (Bridget Swan)
- He hadn’t expected such a large and generous leaving present (Alison Rollin)
- This is the one box without leaks (Janet Stockton)
- He was delighted when the PM told him he could carry out all his plans, until the PM added ‘And here is a box to carry them out in’ (Ray Morris)
- In a final act of generosity, Dominic Cummings offered to take the Downing Street cat for its vaccination (Avril Rhodes)
- Has anyone seen Larry the cat since Dominic left 10 Downing Street? (Michael Watts)
- The shortage of toilet rolls at No. 10 following the departure of Mr Cummings was purely coincidental (Philip Deane).
A few speculated about Mr Cummings’s next move:
- While Archbishop Welby went on sabbatical, Someone Else would be running Lambeth Palace (Patrick Irwin)
- Carrying his box of tricks, Dominic Cummings left No. 10 to take up his new post at Lambeth Palace as special adviser to the Archbishop on the Church’s strategy for breaking future lockdowns (Mervyn Cox)
- Off to set up a new order of Dominicans (Trevor Oakes)
- Search begins for next head of the Dominican order (Shaun Clarkson)
- Just wait till I lift the lid on Boris (Ian Barge).
Some other entries for your enjoyment:
- Boxit! (Roger Chamberlain)
- 2020: Boxing Day preceded Christmas Day (Christopher Whitmey)
- Dexit Dominic (John Saxbee)
- I seem to be making a spectacle of myself, again (Charles Walster)
- They would not even let me use the back garden this time (John Rhodes)
- Inevitably, he found his thoughts turning to some words from the Magnificat (Michael Foster)
- But the watchers didn’t see him re-enter by the back door (John Appleby)
- Dominic was mortified that he had mistaken the front door for the back one. He had hoped to slip out unnoticed (Vicky Deasley)
- Christmas is cancelled; so it’s straight to Boxing Day (Morris Munns)
- Perhaps I shouldn’t have commented on Carrie. Look what she has asked me to carry! (Steve Davies)
- Cummings and goings in Downing Street (Margaret Forey)
- Yes, my eyesight is OK to read the word ‘Exit’, thank you (David Thomas)
- When I said vote leave, I didn’t mean me (Michael Doe).
As ever, the winner receives a prize of Fairtrade chocolate, courtesy of Divine Chocolate. www.divinechocolate.com