Have a go at our next caption competition (above) and win a prize of Fairtrade chocolate!
Send your entries by email to email@example.com or by post (postcards only) to:
108-114 Golden Lane
London EC1Y 0TG
Entries must be received by Friday 10 January.
Here is last week’s winner:
Dress-down Friday again at the episcopal training college (Cortland Fransella)
THE Twelve Days of Christmas are not over just yet — so a festive caption competition is not out of place:
- Just like London buses, St Nicholases come along in fours (Lynda Sebbage)
- The seminar on explaining how St Nicholas morphed into Father Christmas was not very well attended (Valerie Budd)
- Bishops? I’ve seen more convincing Father Christmases! (Ian Barge)
- Owing to a ‘clerical’ error (ho, ho, ho), four bishops had been booked to play Santa Claus at the Choir School Christmas Party (Mark Parry)
- The entrants for the church Christmas party fancy-dress competition showed little imagination (Mervyn Cox)
- ‘Look behind you! He’s got a mitre!’ ‘Oh no he hasn’t.’ ‘Oh yes he has!’ (Peter M Potter)
White beards do not remind readers only of Santa Claus:
- Rowan Williams look-a-like challenge — the quarter-finals (John Saxbee)
- But which was the real Rowan Williams? (Richard Martin)
- Everyone wanted to be like Archbishop Rowan (Clare Griffiths).
Since the picture was first published straight after polling day, we can allow some political entries:
- Whisper to leader: there is trouble in your constituencies, voters think you wise men are spending too long away on the star journey (Phillip Rice)
- After the election result, the party leader had asked his MPs to come in disguise (Richard Hough)
- Four candidates for the Labour leadership (Janet Stockton)
Some other entries that we enjoyed:
- Having forgotten to invite the Orthodox to the ecumenical conference, the Archbishop’s team tried to cover up and bluff it out (George Frost)
- One in four bishops just can’t get the staff nowadays (Francis Berryman)
- Bishops croziering up together in the vestry? (Chris Coupe)
- Not wearing trainers was not something the youth group would contemplate (Vicky Lundberg)
- I declare this meeting of the Church of England Evangelical Council officially open (Andrew Greenhough)
- You don’t think that memo about the correct dress for new MPs at the State Opening could be a hoax? (Ray Morris)
- OK, then — whose bright idea was it to have the consecration on Christmas Day? (Peter Bacon);
- Crooked Santa (Andrew Craig)
- It may have been foolish to combine an episcopal conference with Messy Church (Patrick Irwin)
- St Nicholas x4 marked the end of the era of austerity (Michael Foster)
- Think of us as the four corners of the Lambeth Quadrilateral (Richard Crockett)
- Word of the new miracle hair restorer had spread rapidly throughout the episcopate (Stephen Disley)
- The line-up for ‘The best bearded St Nicholas’ competition looked more like a bunch of latter-day Methuselahs (Lesley Cope).
As ever, the winner receives Fairtrade chocolate, courtesy of Divine Chocolate: www.divinechocolate.com.