SURVIVORS of abuse that, they say, was carried out by the former Iwerne Trust chairman John Smyth QC have launched a legal claim against the Titus Trust, who now run the Irwene Trust camps.
One anonymous victim said on Tuesday: “The abuse we suffered as a consequence of attending Iwerne camps has had a devastating effect on all of our lives.
“We have been compelled to take this course of action because of the unwillingness of the Titus Trust to accept any responsibility for what happened.”
Smyth, who had been accused of administering brutal beatings in his garden shed to boys whom he had befriended at camps run by the Trust in the 1970s, died this month before he could be questioned by police, arrested, or tried (News, 17 August).
The group of men who have launched the legal claim say that the Trust has refused to speak to them since the allegations about Smyth emerged.
Andrew Graystone, an advocate for the survivors, said: “I have personally written to every individual Titus Trustee more than once, pleading for them to do their duty as trustees and as Christians, and help the victims.
“Not one has responded. The refusal of the trustees to offer any help to Smyth’s victims has massively compounded their suffering.”
The men have instructed Richard Scorer of Slater and Gordon Solicitors to pursue their claim against Titus Trust.