Welby seeks support to end Nigerian clashes
THE Archbishop of Canterbury, speaking in the House of Lords on Tuesday about violent clashes between Fulani nomadic herdsmen and settled farmers in Nigeria, and the attack on the Archbishop of Jos (News, 6 July), asked the Minister for clarity on what the Government could do to support Nigeria in the short, medium, and long term. Archbishop Welby said that there should be an end to violence, reconciliation, and support for regional efforts to cope with climate change. The violence has been attributed to the growing desertification of northern Nigeria. The Government has previously said that it is “not aware of evidence to support the view that religion is driving this conflict”, although church leaders in Nigeria have spoken of “ethnic cleansing” of Christians.
Consecrations held for Province of Chile
TWO new diocesan bishops were consecrated in Chile last weekend, as the process to create a new Province in the Anglican Communion moved forwards. the Revd Samuel Morrison Munro was consecrated as Bishop of the new diocese of Valparaíso and Enrique Lago Zugadi as Bishop of Concepción. This follows the vote to create the new Province in May (News, 11 May). The diocese of Chile is currently part of the Province of South America. The Anglican Communion News Service reports that Assistant Bishop of Chile, the Rt Revd Abelino Apeleo, will be the diocesan Bishop of Temuco, and the Bishop of Chile, Héctor Zavala, will be diocesan Bishop of Santiago and Primate of the new Province.
UN needs to prevent collapse of Libya, envoy warns
THE status quo in Libya could not continue if the country was to avoid “economic collapse, the breakdown of public services, and more frequent and intense outbreaks of violence”, the head of the UN Support Mission in Libya, Dr Ghassan Salamé, said on Monday. He reported to the UN Security Council a growth in military action, concerns over human rights and the rule of law, and an ongoing humanitarian crisis. Support from the Security Council was “vital” to Libya’s future. On Tuesday, Reuters reported that a woman and a boy had been found dead after being allegedly left adrift in the Mediterranean by the Libyan Coastguard.