A 13-YEAR-OLD BOY has been arrested and bailed after a pupil died from a severe allergic reaction at a Church of England school.
A Year 8 pupil, Karanbir Cheema, known as Karan, was rushed to hospital after falling ill at William Perkin C of E High School in Greenford, west London, two weeks ago. He died ten days later at Great Ormond Street Hospital. His parents told the Evening Standard news-paper that Karan, aged 13, had an allergy to dairy products but was careful to avoid them.
The executive head teacher, Dame Alice Hudson, said that staff and students were devastated by the boy’s death. “This one-off event has shocked us all, and our thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends at this difficult time.”
In a statement published on its website, the school said: “The student in question had always dealt responsibly with his multiple allergies and medical staff were therefore able to respond quickly with his agreed care plan during the incident on Wednesday 28th June.”
There have been allegations in the press that the student was subjected to bullying, but the school insisted there was “no evidence” that its anti-bullying policies had been breached.