Welby writes to reassure WATCH
THE Archbishop of Canterbury has informed WATCH that “conversations are in progress with the relevant people so that, in future, objections such as that at Canterbury Cathedral in June will not be allowed,” the group reported this week. It had called for action after the Revd Stephen Holland made objections during the consecration services for women bishops (News, 5 August).
Dr Forster pays tribute to Duke of Westminster
THE Bishop of Chester, Dr Peter Forster, has paid tribute to the Duke of Westminster, who died on Tuesday, after a sudden illness. The Duke was “very well regarded in Cheshire, and much further afield, for his charitable work and very evident sense of duty,” Dr Foster said. He had made “very significant contributions across a wide range of aspects of public life”, including taking a “close interest in appointments of clergy to the parishes of which the Duke is patron. He will be hugely missed.”
CiW reviews position of Archbishop
THE Church in Wales is conducting a review into the position and responsibilities of its Archbishop after the current holder of the office, Dr Barry Morgan, called on its governing body to look towards the “wider society” of the Anglican Church. A statement confirmed that a team had been formed to review whether the Archbishop of Wales should be elected from the diocesan bishops, as has been the practice since the Church was inaugurated in 1920. The team — which includes representatives from its six dioceses; the former Welsh government minister, Edwina Hart; and the former Principal of St John’s College, Nottingham, Dr Christina Baxter — will also review the sustainability of the Archbishop’s current workload for future post-holders.
Two teenagers charged after vicar’s car hijacked
TWO teenagers have been charged with robbery after the Associate Vicar of Holy Trinity, Hull, the Revd Irene Wilson, was assaulted and her car stolen as she left the church on Sunday. Her laptop and £250 in cash were also taken. Humberside Police confirmed that a 16- and 13-year-old were arrested and later charged with robbery in Hull and Holderness Youth Court this week. They are being remanded in a youth detention centre and will appear in court again next month. Her colleague, the Revd Matthew Woodcock, told Hull Daily Mail that the boys “came out of nowhere” and forced Ms Wilson from her vehicle as she turned on the engine before driving away.
Correction: The immigration judge’s ruling successfully appealed by the Home Office did enable four Syrians to come to the UK. Last week’s story said that it “would have allowed” them to come.