*** DEBUG END ***

Out of the question

26 June 2015

Write, if you have any answers to the questions listed at the end of this section, or would like to add to the answers below.


Your answers


Who in a parish church is authorised to sign the banns certificates for couples whose banns are read by visiting clergy during an interregnum?


The banns must be signed by a member of the clergy. The Faculty Office issues guidance about this: Anglican Marriage in England and Wales: A guide to the law for clergy.

Section 7.11 states: "Before banns are published for the first time, the incumbent (or a member of the clergy nominated by the bishop) must cause the necessary details to be entered in the book, and the person publishing banns is to read from the book 'and not from loose papers' (Marriage Act 1949 s.7(3)).

"After each publication the person publishing banns is to sign the book, or cause it to be done under his/her direction (MA ss. 7(3) and 9(3)). If, during a vacancy, no member of clergy has been nominated by the bishop then it is recommended that the rural or area dean be asked to supervise."

Section 7.12 covers certificates of publication, and makes it clear that the banns certificates must also be signed by a member of the clergy nominated by the bishop.

(The Revd) Ian Enticott, Accrington


Your questions


Why is Jesus called an "apostle" in Hebrews 3.1?

A. M.


Out of the Question, Church Times, 3rd floor, Invicta House, 108-114 Golden Lane, London EC1Y 0TG.


Forthcoming Events

25 September 2021
Festival of Faith and Literature: Food for the Journey
With Stephen Cottrell, Peter Stanford, Lucy Winkett, and Rowan Williams.

20 October 2021
Does the parish need saving?
Warnings that the parish is under threat date back decades. But are claims that it is now being dismantled accurate? Join our panel for a lively online debate.

More events

Job of the Week


Welcome to the Church Times

​To explore the Church Times website fully, please sign in or subscribe.

Non-subscribers can read four articles for free each month. (You will need to register.)