AFTER an independent risk assessment, the Rt Revd Michael
Perham, a former Bishop of Gloucester, has been cleared to take up
ministry in retirement.
Bishop Perham was on the point of retiring when police began an
investigation last year, after historic allegations of indecent
assault were made against him (News, 8
August). He was not arrested, but interviewed under caution. In
October, the police confirmed that no further action would be taken
17 October), but the Church's own investigation has only just
The news that Bishop Perham would be able to take up ministry
again was welcomed by the diocese of Gloucester on Monday: "We look
forward to marking Bishop Michael's committed and dedicated
ministry to this diocese, with a service of thanksgiving at
Gloucester Cathedral on Saturday 13 June."
A statement from Lambeth Palace said that "the matter was
reviewed by the Church of England in accordance with its national
safeguarding policy. With the full co-operation of the Bishop, an
independent risk assessment has been satisfactorily completed."
Bishop Perham said: "I am glad that the church process has
concluded and that the outcome is clear and decisive. The Church
has to be rigorous in its approach to safeguarding, and, as I made
absolutely clear from the start, its investigations had to be
thorough to leave no doubt about its conclusions.
"I am, of course, immensely heartened that I can now return to
ministry in my retirement. I have a deep sense of gratitude to all
in the diocese of Gloucester, and beyond, who have supported,
encouraged, and upheld me, and my family, through a long and