AT LEAST four people have died in a bomb attack in Sinai, in
Egypt, which targeted South Korean Christians visiting biblical
sites for their church's 60th anniversary.
The dead included three Koreans and their Egyptian driver. Up to
14 others were injured. The bus was carrying more than 30
parishioners from Jincheon Jungang Presbyterian Church, an Egyptian
Foreign Office spokeswoman said.
The attack heightened fears that Islamic extremists, who have
be-come more active in the Sinai Peninsula since the overthrow of
the Islamist President Mohammed Morsi, are now picking out foreign
tourists for terrorist attacks.
A minister at the Korean church, Choe Gyu-seob, said that the
congregation had been saving fora long time to make the
The party left Korea last Monday, and were to visit Turkey,
Egypt, and Israel.
South Korea's Yonhap news agency reported the daughter of one
victim as saying: "My mother was a devout Christian. I don't know
how such a thing could happen. I don't know how to react to
Other church members cried as they sat in a car in front of the
church after hearing the news. One man in his fifties said: "We
never imagined such a thing could happen. We are shocked and
Egyptian security officials said that the bus was travelling
from a tour of the ancient Greek Orthodox St Catherine's Monastery
towards the crossing into Israel at the border town of Taba.
As yet, no one has claimed responsibility for the blast,
believed to be either a car or roadside bomb. Officials said,
however, that it bore the hallmarks of previous attacks attributed
to al-Qaeda-linked militant groups.
The Egyptian President's office called the attack a "despicable
act of cowardice", and vowed to bring the culprits to justice.