*** DEBUG START ***
*** DEBUG END ***

Dr Sentamu has surgery

07 June 2013

PA

THE Archbishop of York, Dr Sentamu, announced last week that he had been treated for prostate cancer, and would be out of action "for some time".

Dr Sentamu underwent an operation on Thursday of last week at St James's Hospital, Leeds. In a statement issued the same day, Dr Sentamu thanked the hospital's surgical team and nursing staff for the care he had received.

He said: "I will be out of action for some time, and will continue to value your prayers. I look forward to resuming my ministry as soon as possible."

A decision about whether Dr Sentamu's diocesan responsibilities would need to be undertaken by the Bishop of Hull, the Rt Revd Richard Frith, has not been taken at this stage. It is hoped, however, that the Archbishop will return to his ministries as soon as he is well enough to do so. It is unclear whether Dr Sentamu would be recovered in time for the General Synod in York in July.

Dr Sentamu's statement continued: "As I have often said, during the most trying times, I have derived great comfort from the words of the Taizé chant, 'Aber du weißt den Weg für mich', adapted from a passage in letters and papers of Dietrich Bonhoeffer."

Dr Sentamu is recuperating at home in Bishopthorpe Palace.

Church Times: about us

Welcome to the Church Times

​To explore the Church Times website fully, please sign in or subscribe.

Non-subscribers can read four articles for free each month. (You will need to register.)