*** DEBUG START ***
*** DEBUG END ***

Royal campaign for youth volunteers

05 July 2013

PAUL BURNS

THE Prince of Wales has asked church leaders and senior representatives of the armed services, business, industry, education, and the voluntary sector to back a new campaign for social action by young people. Prince Charles kicked off the initiative on Thursday of last week by chairing a discussion about it at Clarence House (above).

The Archbishop of Canterbury, who was abroad, was represented at the discussion by his chief of staff, Kay Brock, who is to meet campaign organisers again later this week. "We will be discussing the most effective way in which the Church of England can engage with this project," she said.

The campaign, which will be launched officially in the autumn, seeks to double the number of young people volunteering. It is estimated, only 29 per cent of them currently take part in social-action projects. Schools, churches, and youth organisations will be involved in the campaign, which has been welcomed by the Church of England's chief education officer, the Revd Jan Ainsworth.

She said: "This development fits in well with the wider Christian curriculum of church schools, which leads many of our students into becoming agents of transformation. Initiatives like the Archbishop of York's young leaders' award do exactly that."

Church Times: about us

Welcome to the Church Times

​To explore the Church Times website fully, please sign in or subscribe.

Non-subscribers can read four articles for free each month. (You will need to register.)