Locked-in sufferer's family loses appeal on right to die
THE family of Tony Nicklinson, a sufferer from locked-in
syndrome who died last year (
News, 24 August 2012), lost their case at the Court of Appeal
on Wednesday. The family, together with a paralysed man, Paul Lamb,
had appealed against a High Court ruling last year that Mr
Nicklinson did not have the right to ask a doctor to end his life.
In the Court of Appeal judgment, the Lord Chief Justice, Lord
Judge, said that Parliament, as "the conscience of the nation",
should address life-and-death issues; judges should "discover the
relevant legal principles, and apply the law as we find it". Mr
Nicklinson's widow, Jane, is considering whether to appeal to the
Supreme Court. In a separate case, a paralysed man, known only as
Martin, won a case, heard by the Court of Appeal, that sought
clearer guidance about whether health workers could help others to
die. Martin wants it to be lawful for a doctor or nurse to travel
abroad with him to help him to end his life.
Dr Sentamu's cancer treatment successful
THE Archbishop of York, Dr Sentamu, said last week that he had
been suc- cessfully treated for prostate cancer (
News, 31 May). The cancer "was thankfully just outside, but
otherwise confined to the prostate gland, and was completely
excised/removed". Dr Sentamu said that he was "full of thanksgiving
to God, to my consultant surgeon, Mr Bill Cross, and his Theatre 3
surgical team", and to the many people who had prayed for him.
Correction: more than 2000 pilgrims attended an
open-air service in the ruins of Lindisfarne Priory, not 200, as we
said last week. Our apologies.