THE Cathedral of
Sodor & Man, St German's, in Peel, on the Isle
of Man, is undergoing a regeneration to extend its facilities,
remodel its grounds, and develop its music. By tradition, it was
founded in 447 by St German, although the present building was
consecrated in 1980.
For the moment, it is decked
with Ruth Dent's 16 "Art for Evensong" banners (above),
which were hung in Rochester Cathedral for the latter part of last
year. They are her "visual response to choral evensong", and will
stay in St German's Cathedral until next month, when they will move
on to Bradford and a number of other cathedrals. They emphasise the
musical regeneration taking place.
Choral evensong has now been added to the weekly service
schedule by the Dean, the Very Revd Nigel Godfrey, and the Director
of Music, Dr Peter Litman, and an appeal has been launched for a
new organ. Earlier this year, ten child pro- bationers were
admitted as the first full choristers of the cathedral since 1745,
and another group of probationers are all set to arrive in
September. They are drawn from the Island's primary schools, and
sing choral evensong every Sunday during term-time. They also join
the adult choir for festivals and civic services.