THE chairman of Fulcrum, the Revd Stephen Kuhrt, warned this week that Evangelicals who are unhappy at recent senior appointments in the diocese of Southwark (News, 23 March) “must not use money as a means of blackmail”.
Some Evangelicals in the diocese are setting up an alternative parish-share scheme, which will be a registered charity (News, 20 April). It is understood that a presentation about the plans will be made to members of the Southwark Diocesan Evangelical Union in the next couple of months, and that briefing papers will be available for PCCs to discuss.
Speaking on Wednesday, Mr Kuhrt, Priest-in-Charge of Christ Church, New Malden, in Southwark diocese, criticised the plans for an alternative fund. He said that he did not want “further schism and separation” in the diocese. “Creating separate structures is tempting, but is virtually always unhelpful because it creates confusion. We don’t need Evangelical ghettos being created, and we mustn’t use money as a means of blackmail. . . Anyone who’s really concerned about the mission of the diocese will not be wanting to go down this track.”
Mr Kuhrt was among about 100 Evangelicals who met the Bishop of Southwark, the Rt Revd Christopher Chessun, earlier this month to protest about the lack of Evangelicals in senior posts (News, 5 April).
Bishop Chessun said after the meeting that he wished to continue the conversation, “possibly with a smaller group, as we seek to build trust and respect”.