THE chapel of Gwydir Uchaf lies on the border of the two ancient
Welsh dioceses of Bangor and St Asaph. It was
originally built as a private chapel by Sir Richard Wynn, of
Gwydir, in 1673, as a place of worship for his family and estate
workers. The exterior is simple, but the interior is elaborately
decorated with a painted ceiling, colourful cut-out angels, a
west-end gallery, and carved furniture.
The setting is spectacular. It sits in woodland, high above the
Conwy Valley, in Snowdonia, between Llanrwst and Bettws-y-Coed.
Although the chapel is owned, through inheritance, by the
Willoughby family in Lincolnshire, it is cared for by Cadw (Welsh
Permission has recently been granted to resume regular quarterly
services using the Book of Common Prayer, and the services are sung
by the North Wales choir Cantamus. All are welcome, of whatever
denomination, and congregations have been growing - this year, up
to 50 worshippers at each service.
The next such service will be choral evensong, on 28 September,
to mark the outbreak of the First World War. The preacher will be
Major General the Revd Morgan Llewellyn, a former Chaplain of
Christ College, Brecon. The Bishop of Bangor, the Rt Revd Andrew
John, will also be present and will give the blessing.